Introduction to the blog...

Hi, my name's Toby Wildgoose. I'm a 21 year old who's obsessed by sport, so much so, that I am looking to become a sports journalist/media officer in later life.

I've set up this blog not only so that I can improve and refine my writing skills, but also to provide a platform for potential employers to view my work.

I have already developed a small portfolio of my work, with my experience in the industry including: written match reports for junior football teams, published work at numerous EFL clubs in a variety of formats, and work experience placements at Chesterfield FC and Rotherham United Community Sports Trust - to see my full portfolio click here: http://goo.gl/VWws3H.

I hope to post as often as possible on this blog about anything that is sport related. Please find the time to read any of my posts.

Any comments or suggestions on how I can improve the blog would be greatly appreciated, and I would also be happy to receive any other suggestions for work experience. Please comment on here, email me (tobywildgoose@gmail.com), or even tweet me (@TobyWildgoose). Cheers!

Start Date: 11/12/12 (Aged 15)

Friday 14 February 2014

Images: My visit to the Olympic Stadium (Olympiastadion Berlin)

On February 10th, I visited Berlin's Olympic Stadium as part of a school history trip. We were given a guided tour of the stadium and not only got to see the seated areas but also the changing rooms and the executive lounges. During the visit we were told about the history of the stadium and how it linked in with our AS Level History course, as well as just how important it has been to Berlin. Here are a selection of the images I took during the tour:

 The stadium was built between the years 1934 and 1936 and was eventually opened in the latter year ahead of the 1936 Olympics - train station near to the ground.

 The current tennants, Hertha BSC, have played at the stadium since 1963 - a graffitied Hertha Berlin flag on a wall near the ground. 

Hertha attract an average crowd of around 50,565 to their home games in the Bundesliga - 'Hertha Ultras' graffiti near the ground.

 Walking down towards the stadium, through the car park.


The Olympic Stadium. 

The Entrance and Olympic Rings.

The outer structure of the stadium.

Closer view of the stadium's structure.

Looking onto the pitch from the East Stand (first point of the tour).

Looking towards the South Stand, which contains the press box, executive seating etc. Hitler stood from a balcony in this stand during the 1936 Olympics.

Looking towards the North Stand which also contains executive boxes.

Some of the seats in the East Stand.

Closer view of the press box.

Looking towards the roofing of the stadium.


Looking down on the pitch from the executive seats.

Pitchside view of the executive boxes.

Pitchside view of the North Stand.

The home dressing room.

The Maifield.

Me and Tom outside the stadium in our Rotherham and Leeds shirts.


Panarama of the stadium.


1 comment :